Skip to content

HLA Advising


Horticulture and Landscape Architecture provides advising to students in the horticulture, environmental horticulture, and landscape architecture majors, as well as minors in horticulture, environmental horticulture, and organic agriculture.

Our Academic Success Coordinators can address a variety of advising-related questions, assist students with managing their degree programs, and be a resource in navigating university processes and paperwork. Each student will also be assigned to at least one Faculty Mentor to provide additional guidance and professional development support. Below are a variety of resources to help you in your progress.

The HLA Student Success Center located at the University Services Center (USC)

4th Floor North, 601 S Howes St.

Open from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm,  Monday – Friday


      Tracy Smith

      Academic Success Coordinator

      Director of Undergraduate Advising



    Office: University Services Center – 4th Floor North, 601 S Howes Street
    Phone: 970-491-0877

    Katherine Isaacson

    Academic Success Coordinator


    Office: University Services Center – 4th Floor North, 601 S Howes Street
    Phone: 970-491-7684



    Amy Quinn-Sparks, Academic Adviser  Amy Quinn-Sparks

    Adviser for the  Online Horticulture Major


    Phone: 970-491-1940


     Karin Bright

     Adviser for the  Online Horticulture Major


    Phone: 970-491-4108


    Sarah Wilhelm, Research Associate


    Sarah Wilhelm

    HLA Internship Coordinator


    Office:  Plant Growth Facilities, by appointment only
    Phone:  970-491-7679

    Beka Crocket, Career Services

      Beka Crocket

      College of Agricultural Sciences Career Services


    Phone:  970-491-3721

    Undergraduate Forms

    Many forms can be found on the Registrar’s Office Forms website (change of major, appeals, repeat/delete, transfer re-evaluation, veterans forms, etc.)

    HORT variable credit form (Undergraduate Student Application for Variable Credit Courses)

    LAND variable credit form (Undergraduate Student Application for Variable Credit Course)

    Advising FAQ

    How do I register for classes?

    You will find answers to all of your questions about registration and waitlists here.

    How do I get my advising code?

    Please schedule an advising appointment with your adviser to get your advising code. You may use the links above. You may also receive a link to schedule an appointment in an email invitation from your adviser prior to registration periods.

    How do I declare or change my major or minor?

    Horticulture / Environmental Horticulture

    Walk ins (USC, 4th Floor, Room 413)

    Every Monday 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.,  Change of Majors, Add a Concentration

    Landscape Architecture

    Required meeting for Change of Major (NESB B101)

    First Thursday of each month. 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.

    What classes are required for my major or minor?

    You can find complete program information for all of our majors and minors in the CSU General Catalog.

    You can see your own progress toward meeting those requirements by viewing your Degree Progress Audit in Ram Web.

    How do I request a course override?

    Course overrides for most courses must be requested from the instructor. Please email to instructor directly to request your override and be sure to let them know your name, your CSU ID, the reason for your request, and the specific section(s) of the course you want.

    The following courses require additional paperwork, contact the faculty member you wish to work with.

    HORT 384 Supervised College Teaching

    HORT 486B General Practicum

    HORT 495 Independent Study

    HORT 496 Group Study


    LAND 384 Supervised College Teaching

    LAND 495A Independent Study

    LAND 495B Independent Study

    LAND 496 Group Study

    How do I take the Math Placement Exam?

    Most students are required to take the Colorado State University Mathematics Placement Examination (MPE). Learn more about the math placement process here. Find the entire math placement directory here.

    If you do not receive an adequate score from your MPE to register for MATH 117 or higher, please do NOT register for MATH 101 or 105. Instead, complete the Entry Level Mathematics Tutorial and then plan to register for MATH 117.

    What is the All University Core Curriculum (AUCC)? What courses can I take to fulfill AUCC requirements?

    All-University Core Curriculum (AUCC) requirements provide a solid foundation for undergraduate studies for all CSU students. The AUCC requirements are listed in the CSU General Catalog, and you can find specific courses that fulfill each requirement here as well.

    To search current offerings of AUCC classes in the Registration system on RAMweb, use “Advanced Search” and highlight all of the course prefixes. Then under “Attribute Type” highlight the AUCC Category you want to search/satisfy. RAMweb will bring up an alphabetical list of all classes offered that semester fulfilling that particular AUCC requirement.

    How do waitlists work?

    You will find answers to all of your questions about registration and waitlists here.

    Please note, you will only be able to waitlist for the smaller lab and/or recitation sections for courses that have linked components.

    How do I run my Degree Progress Audit?

    Log into your RAMweb account, and click on Menu at top right. Select Academic Planning & Progress. Then select Degree Progress Audit. Click Request an Audit, and then click Run Declared Program to see results based on your current major. If you wish to view results for a different major click Run Different Program and use the drop down menus to make your selections.

    Your degree progress audit report lists the classes you have taken, your “in-progress” coursework, and the classes that you still need to complete in your program.

    You are expected to have reviewed your Degree Audit Report prior to advising meetings and prepare a tentative list/schedule of courses to be discussed with your adviser during your meeting.

    Are there any Tutoring and Academic Success Resources on campus?


    The Institute for Learning and Teaching (TILT) learning programs offer tutoring, study groups, workshops, and other learning resources.

    The Eagle Feather Tutoring Program  is a free tutoring service for math and science courses available to students on a walk-in or appointment basis at the Native American Cultural Center office.

    The Writing Center the Colorado State University Writing Center is a free service open to Colorado State University students, staff, faculty, and alumni as well as the local Fort Collins community.

    The Chemistry Learning Resource Center (CLeRC) has many resources available to undergraduate students that aims to improve student learning and academic performances for all students in our chemistry courses.

    Contact CSU Equal Opportunity Privacy Statement Disclaimer

    2018 Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 USA